Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Jolie adopted a rape victim’s baby

The Ethiopian baby adopted by Hollywood actor Angelina Jolie was conceived when her mother was raped, the woman revealed this week. Mentwabe Dawit, mother of 2-year-old Zahara, tearfully described how she had been attacked and raped at knifepoint in 2004 after walking home from work in the southern Ethiopian town of Awasa. “

He pulled a dagger, put one hand on my mouth, so that I could not scream. He then raped me and disappeared,” the Daily Mail quoted Mentwabe as saying. The 24-year-old said that she kept her pregnancy and rape a secret, until she could no longer hide it. “

I feared the consequences of being raped in a community where rape is considered a taboo, even if what happened happened forcibly,” she said. As her belly swelled, Mentwabe could no longer hide her pregnancy and confided in her mother. “ It was not as I feared. I found my mother understanding and consoling. She urged me not to do anything rash, which might endanger my life.”

news source : http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/

No comments: